Please make sure to look at the title (Carefully) of the exam that you wish to apply for because some are promotional and some are Open-Competitive and they have same title but different qualifications and different exam numbers. So it is IMPARIATIVE you look very carefully before applying for any of these exams!
NOTICE OF EXAMINATION
The Amsterdam Civil Service Commission announces the Promotional exam for:
Senior Water Treatment Plant Operator
Promotional Exam # 71-882 City of Amsterdam
Date of Examination: August 7, 2021
Last Filing Date: July 1, 2021
Read this entire announcement before filling your application.
Starting Salary: $55,411.00
General Statement: These duties involve responsibility for assisting the Chief Water Treatment Plant Operator in operation, maintenance, and repair activities of a water treatment plant containing facilities for filtration with pre-treatment or a chemical softening process.
Distinguishing Features of the Class: These duties involve responsibility for assisting the Chief Water Treatment Plant Operator in operation, maintenance, and repair activities of a Water Treatment Plant containing facilities for filtration with pre-treatment or a chemical softening process. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Chief Water Treatment Plant Operator. Supervision normally may be exercised over Water Treatment Plant Operators in the performance of their assigned duties.
Minimum Qualifications: Two years of permanent service as a Water Treatment Plant Operator with the City of Amsterdam.
Subject of Examination:
A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Supervision These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
2. Operation and maintenance of pumps, valves, and related mechanical and electrical equipment These questions test for knowledge of the principles and procedures involved in the operation, maintenance, and repair of pumps, valves, and related mechanical and electrical equipment, including motors and electric circuitry; and for the ability to identify various types of pumps, valves, and related equipment and understand their functions.
3. Physics, chemistry, and bacteriology as related to water treatment and purification, including laboratory and field tests These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices of water treatment, purification, sampling, and testing, including such areas as the principles of physics, chemistry, and bacteriology involved; terminology associated with water treatment and testing; objectives and principles of various water treatment and testing procedures; measurement, sampling, and preservation of water samples; interpreting test results; and the effects of variables on water treatment processes.
4. Practices and equipment used in the operation and maintenance of a Type A water treatment plant These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices associated with the operation and maintenance of Type A water treatment plants, including such areas as objectives and purposes of plant processes and equipment; terminology associated with Type A water treatment plants; conditions and situations encountered in Type A water treatment plants, including safety concerns; water disinfection and dosing; and equipment and materials used in Type A water treatment plants. Some questions may involve basic arithmetic calculations.
5. Tools, mechanical aptitude, and reading of scales, meters, and gauges These questions test for knowledge of the tools used in water and wastewater treatment plants; the ability to identify various types of tools and their uses; knowledge of general mechanical principles and the operation of various types of mechanical devices such as gears, pulleys, levers, valves, and similar types of mechanical equipment; and the ability to read and interpret information displayed on various types of scales, meters, and gauges.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication “General Guide to Written Tests” helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/testguides.cfm
Points will be added to the score of every passing candidate as follows:
Less than 1 year************************************** 0 points
1 year up to 6 years*********************************** 1 points
Over 6 years up to 11 years***************************** 2 points
Over 11 years up to 16 years**************************** 3 points
Over 16 years up to 21 years**************************** 4 points
Over 21 years**************************************** 5 points
Page 2 of 4
Notice of Examination – Page 3
Application: Applications may be obtained at the Civil Service Office in Amsterdam City Hall or by sending a stamped self-addressed legal envelope to:
Amsterdam Civil Service Commission, City Hall 61 Church St. Amsterdam NY 12010
Applications received post-marked after the filing date deadline will not be accepted. The applicant should make sure every question on the application is answered and that the application is complete in all respects. All statements made by candidates in their application are subject to verification. This department does not acknowledge receipt of the applications. Candidates will be notified of the disposition of their application. Candidates will be notified by letter, of when and where to appear to take the written test. If candidates have not received a notice to appear for the written test three (3) days prior to the exam date, they should call our office at (518)841-4341.
Application Fees: A $15.00 non-refundable application fee is required for each separately numbered examination for which you apply. The required fee must accompany your application. Send a check or money order payable to City of Amsterdam. Write the examination number(s) and the applicant’s name on the check or money order. DO NOT SEND CASH. If your application is disapproved, the fee will not be refunded. You should carefully review the announced minimum qualifications and any residence requirements and apply only for those examinations for which you clearly qualify.
Religious Observer/Disabled Candidates/Military Members: Applicants whose religious beliefs or military service prevent their taking examinations on the scheduled date and disabled candidates who require special accommodations to take the test should indicate the need for special arrangements. Military Service Members: If you apply for an examination during the filing period but are on active military duty on the date of examination is scheduled, you may request a military makeup examination. Contact Amsterdam Civil Service for more information. If you are on active duty or discharged after the filing period has begun, you may apply for the examination up to ten days before the test date.
Section 23.2 Statement: This examination will be prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23.2 of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of New York State Civil Service Law, rules and regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
Multiple Exam Takers: If you have applied for both State and local government examinations, you must notify Amsterdam Civil Service of your intent to take both a State and a local government examination. When taking both a State and a local government examination you will be required to take all your examinations at a state examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examination.
If you have applied for other local examinations examination, call or write to each Civil Service Agency to make arrangements no later than two weeks before the date of examination, as to which test site you will be taking the examination.
Veteran’s Credit: Veterans or disabled veterans who are eligible for additional credit must submit an application for veteran’s credit with their application for examination or at any time between the dates of their application for examination and the date of establishment of the resulting eligible list. Applications for veteran’s credit are available from this office. Veteran’s credits can only be added to a passing score on the examination.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran’s credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran’s credits.
Change of Address: It is the responsibility of the candidate to notify the Amsterdam Civil Service of any change in name or address for the duration of the eligible list. No attempt will be made to locate candidates who have moved.
If any emergency prevents you from appearing for the examination, please notify this office (518)841-4341 no later than 9:00AM on the Monday following the test date, (Tuesday if Monday is a legal holiday) providing verifiable documentation of the reason. A determination will be made as to if you will be scheduled for an alternate test date.
Application Fee Waiver: A waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of application fee will be allowed if you determined eligible for Medicaid, or receiving Supplemental Security Income Payments, or Public Assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/ Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance) or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a State or Local Social Service Agency. All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification. If you can verify eligibility for application fee waiver, complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application by the close of business on the application deadline as listed on the examination announcement.
Children of Firefighters and Police Officers killed in the line of duty: In conformance with section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
City of Amsterdam/An Equal Opportunity Employer
Civil Service Commission: Gary McNeil, Chairman
Lynn Kot, Commissioner
Mary Anne Semkiw, Commissioner
Page 5 OF 5