Full RFP 04-2022 Smart Growth Comprehensive Plan
The City of Amsterdam is requesting proposals from qualified consultants to assist in the completion of a Smart Growth Comprehensive Plan to guide future sustainable growth within the municipality, enhance the local cultural identity, and protect natural and cultural local resources.
The City of Amsterdam received a Smart Growth Comprehensive Planning Program Grant from the Department of State to prepare a City of Amsterdam Smart Growth Comprehensive Plan.
The City of Amsterdam (Contractor) and its Comprehensive Planning Committee will prepare a Comprehensive Plan pursuant to General City Law § 28 / Town Law § 272-a / Village Law 7-722. The Comprehensive Plan will establish the objectives that the community wants to achieve, and will guide future sustainable growth within the municipality, enhance the local cultural identity, and protect natural and cultural local resources.
The Comprehensive Plan must address the following general Smart Growth principles, in addition to the elements suggested by the New York State statutes:
• Promote mixed land uses in focus areas.
• Create an adequate range of housing opportunities and choices.
• Promote development and redevelopment where infrastructure is adequate and sustainable.
• Build on traits that make a distinctive and attractive community with a strong sense of place.
• Promote well-planned and well-placed public spaces
• Promote sustainable compact neighborhoods
• Increase mobility and circulation within jurisdictional lines and improve connectivity with areas outside jurisdictional lines.
• Promote sustainable mass transit that reduces the local levels of greenhouse gas emissions
• Promote walkable/bikeable neighborhood designs
• Promote and integrate clean energy resources and related incentives.
• Improve green infrastructure and resident’s participation to this effort
• Increase resiliency to extreme weather events.
• Encourage social diversity and integration.
• Expand planning and implementation efforts across jurisdictional lines, to increase effectiveness, sustainability, and resiliency.
• Promote community and stakeholder collaboration in planning
The Contractor will use the funding/grant for consultant services necessary for the coordination of the planning process and preparation of the Comprehensive Plan.