Taxes & Payments
Your taxes help the city pay for the critical infrastructure and services that our city needs to operate. If you have any questions related to your taxes, please contact the Treasurer's Office at 518-841-4320 or 518-841-4337.
The City Controller is responsible for the fiscal operations and accounting and collection of taxes for the City of Amsterdam.
As a matter of fiscal control and responsibility to the residents of our City, all purchase orders, including the purchase of new equipment, including office equipment, Department of Public Works equipment, police and fire and more, all must pass through the Controllers office for approval and record keeping.
The Controller is involved with the day to day money matters and works directly with the Mayor and City Council Members when formulating the Budget.
Please Note: There are two separate bills for City and County taxes.
City Taxes (including Garbage, Sewer and Water) are collected as follows:
- 1st Quarter - July 31st
- 2nd Quarter - October 31st
- 3rd Quarter - January 31st
- 4th Quarter - April 30th
County Taxes are collected as follows:
- 1st Quarter - January 31st
- 2nd Quarter - April 30th
- 3rd Quarter - July 31st
- 4th Quarter - October 31st
Commercial Metered Water/Sewer
Metered Water/Sewer is a separate billing for commercial properties and is billed per use and are collected as follows:
- 1st Quarter - October 31st
- 2nd Quarter - January 31st
- 3rd Quarter - April 30th
- 4th Quarter - July 31st
Paying your taxes online has never been easier! The City of Amsterdam in partnership with Xpress-pay allows residents to securely find and review their Montgomery County and City taxes online as well as make payments.
Have questions or concerns? Please contact the Controller's Office.
Mail Your Payment
- Make checks payable to: CITY OF AMSTERDAM.
- Write account number(s) on your check.
- Mail payments to:
City of Amsterdam City Hall
61 Church Street
Amsterdam, NY 12010
- Do not send cash.
- U.S. Postmark determines date of payment.
Pay in Person
- Visit us at:
Amsterdam City Hall
61 Church Street
1st Floor, Treasurer's Office, Room Number 103
Amsterdam, NY 12010
- Payments can be made in the form of cash, check, or money order.
- Credit card or debit card payments are accepted online only.
- You can contact the tax department with any questions regarding your bill.
Late Payment Penalties for Taxes
Penalty charges of 1% will be added each month after due date of each installment.
An alternative payment agreement may be requested if you fall delinquent on your taxes.
Such agreements require the following:
- A minimum down payment of 25% of all taxes and penalties due if you do not currently reside in the property. If the property is owner-occupied a minimum of 15% of all taxes and penalties due.
- Payment of remaining balance in quarterly or monthly installments, over a term not to exceed two years.
- Remittance of all future taxes on a current basis.
If you need to inquire about your taxes, please have your SBL (Section, Block, Lot) Number ready when contacting the Controller's Office. This is located on the top portion of your bill under Property Information. If the SBL Number is not available to you, please have the property location ready. This office has voice mail that is checked throughout the day. Please leave a message if you are unable to speak with someone, and your call will be returned in a timely manner.
City & County Taxes
City and County tax payments are accepted at the Controller's office at City Hall.
Water & Sewer Taxes
City commercial water and sewer tax payments are accepted at the Controller's office at City Hall.
The School district is a separate municipality and therefore on-time School Tax payments are not collected in this office. Regular school tax payments must be mailed in to the Greater Amsterdam School District (GASD). Please call GASD 518-843-3180, ext. 7405 for questions or concerns.
If any portion of your current School tax bill is not paid by the last due date, it will then be turned over to the City for collection. This will incur additional penalties. If you are past due, the school taxes payment must be paid to the City of Amsterdam.