Licenses and Permits
To directly download any permit or license, please use the dropdown menu in the left-hand sidebar. The links below will take you to the respective page for each permit or license where additional information, instructions and other helpful information may be found.
Any forms that cannot be downloaded are forms that must be picked up at City Hall during normal business hours, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For information and forms, please click on the headings below.
An animal license is required for some animals in the City of Amsterdam. Dogs must be registered at a cost of $10 for a spayed/neutered dog, and $18 for one that is not. Owners must also have proof that their dog has received their rabies shots. Applications can be picked up at the City Clerk's Office Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
To legally drive in the State of New York, a resident must have a driver's license issued to them by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, or DMV. Driver's licenses as well as license plates for your vehicle are issued by the New York State department of Motor Vehicles. License plates are issued once you have registered your car with the local DMV as well as a vehicular insurance company. Located 64 Broadway box 1500, Fonda, NY 12068, office hours are from 8:30 to 3:30 Monday through Friday.
Marriage Licenses are issued by the Amsterdam City Clerk's Office.
To apply you will need the following:
- The cost of a marriage license is $40.00
- Both partners must be present to apply
- Bring a photo ID (driver's license) as well as a Birth Certificate (a Copy of Birth Record can be obtained if lost)
- If Previously Married: You will need any and all copies of divorce, annulment and/or death certificates.
- For more information please visit the NYS Health Department Website
To apply for a license please stop into our offices any time from 8:30 to 3:30, Monday through Friday at:
Peddler Licenses: See City of Amsterdam Codes:
- Chapter 171-19: Application for License
- Chapter 171-21: Fees associated with purchase of a Peddlers License
- See City of Amsterdam Codes
- Chapter 171-36: Application for license
- Chapter 171-38: Fees associated with purchase of Solicitors License
Transient Merchant Licenses:
- See City of Amsterdam Codes
- Chapter 171-3: Application for License
- Chapter 171-8: Fees associated with Transient Merchant Licenses
- Auctioneers License: See City of Amsterdam Codes
- Chapter 77-2: Application for License
- Chapter 77-3: Fees associated with the purchase of an Auctioneers License
To receive a liquor license in New York State you must meet several requirements set forth by the State. If you do not meet any one of these requirements then you will not be issued a license to purchase or sell alcohol in New York. These requirements are as follows:
- The New York State Liquor Authority requires that all applicants be a U.S. citizen or or permanent resident alien. In addition, you must be at least 21 years old. Applicants must not be a law enforcement officer with powers to arrest. Felons are not allowed to apply unless they have a Certificate of Release from Civil Disabilities. If you fail to meet any of these criteria, you will be denied a liquor license in New York.
- Make sure your establishment is not within 200 feet of a church, school, synagogue or any other place of worship. Before you submit your application, you should make certain that your bar or restaurant meets this requirement.
- Download the application form at the New York State Liquor Authority website. You can also contact the Licensing Division and request an application by mail.
- Complete application in its entirety and include application fee. Be sure that you submit the application to the Zone Office that supports the county where your business is located. There are four zones: Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 3 and Syracuse District.
- Check the status of your liquor license application on the New York State Liquor Authority website. If your application has been processed, you will see the status as, "pending", "active", "expired", or "inactive". If you are in "active" status, you should receive your license in the mail within a few weeks.
For more information on liquor licenses, or to apply for one, please visit the New York state Liquor Authority web site at:
All plumbing work in the City of Amsterdam requires a plumbing permit, this includes residential and commercial work to install, update or repair plumbing or sewer related systems and including sprinkler systems.
All electrical work in the City of Amsterdam requires a permit and inspection from one of the two inspection companies listed below.
All commercial work must be performed by a licensed electrical contractor, including residential properties of 4 or more units. Residential work may be performed by a homeowner (properties under 3 units) but must be followed by an inspection by the City Inspector and a homeowner affidavit must be completed.