City Controller's Office
Phone: (518) 841-4309 | Fax: (518) 684-0227 | Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 430 p.m.
The City Controller is responsible for the fiscal operations and accounting and collection of taxes for the City of Amsterdam.
As a matter of fiscal control and responsibility to the residents of our City, all purchase orders, including the purchase of new equipment, including office equipment, Department of Public Works equipment, police and fire and more, all must pass through the Controllers office for approval and record keeping.
The Controller is involved with the day to day money matters and works directly with the Mayor and City Council Members when formulating the Budget.
Taxes & Tax Collection
There are two separate bills for City & County taxes. City Taxes (including Garbage, Sewer & Water) are collected as follows:
County Taxes are collected as follows:
Metered Water/Sewer is a separate billing for commercial properties and is billed per use.
It is collected as follows:
School Taxes: The School district is a separate municipality and therefore on-time School Tax payments are not collected in this office. Regular school tax payments are collected by the Greater Amsterdam School District. Please call GASD (518) 843-3180 Ext. 7405 for questions or concerns.
If any portion of your current School tax bill is not paid by the last due date, it will then be turned over to the City for collection. This will incur additional penalties.
If you are past due, the school taxes payment must be paid to the City of Amsterdam.
Late Payment Penalty
Penalty charges of 2% will be added each month after due date of each installment.
- Make checks payable to: CITY OF AMSTERDAM
- Write account number(s) on your check.
- Include tax bill(s) or a $5.00 duplicate bill fee per bill.
- Mail payments to: City of Amsterdam City Hall, 61 Church Street, Amsterdam, NY 12010
- Do NOT send cash
- (US Postmark determines date of payment)
Payable in person:
City Hall: 1st floor, Treasures's Office, Room #103
- 61 Church Street
- Amsterdam, NY
- Payments can be made in the form of cash, check, or money order.
- Credit card or debit card payments are accepted online only.
- You can contact the tax department with any questions regarding your bill.
Payable online here.
Please have your S.B.L. # ready when calling. This is located on the top portion of your bill under Property Information. If the S.B.L. # is not available to you, please have the property location ready. This office has voice mail that is checked throughout the day. Please leave a message if you are unable to speak with someone, and your call will be returned in a timely manner.
An alternative payment agreement may be requested if you fall delinquent on your taxes.
Such agreements require the following:
- A minimum down payment of 25% of all taxes and penalties due.
- Payment of remaining balance in quarterly or monthly installments, over a term not to exceed two years.
- Remittance of all future taxes on a current basis.