Payment of Utilities
Utility bills are due quarterly, and are accepted in July, October, January and April by the last day of that month. If they are mailed in, they must be postmarked by the above mentioned dates, or be subject to a 2% interest penalty which will accrue with each month late.
Failure to pay your bill could result in the City shutting off the water supply to your property.
For Commercial Properties:
- Upon failure of the commercial property owner to pay the metered water bill within the payment period, a penalty of 2% per month, compounded, shall be charged for additional months thereafter where the account is delinquent.
- When the commercial property owner fails to pay the metered water bill within 90 days, the Controller shall send a certified shutoff notice to the property owner stating that, if the bill is not paid, water service will be shut off in approximately 30 days by the City Water Meter Department. The cost of sending these notices and publishing the notices in the newspaper will be charged to the delinquent user
- Approximately two weeks before water service is shut off, the Controller will publish, in the Recorder, the names and addresses of all commercial property owners who are subject to water service shutoff.
- The Water Meter Department, at the direction of the Controller, will post a notice of evacuation on all doors at the property subject to water shutoff at least 72 hours before the water service is shutoff.
- Within 72 hours after water service is shut off, the Water Meter Department will notify the Controller's office, the Fire Department and the Department of Public Works of the addresses of any buildings which have had their water service shutoff.
- The Corporation Counsel will take any appropriate legal action to recover monies owed to the city for water service provided but not paid for.
- Should the water service be turned off for nonpayment, a reconnection charge of $20 will be assessed by the Controller against the commercial property owner and will be due when paying the delinquent water bill. No water service will be reconnected until all water charges and fees are paid in full at the Controller's office.
- All water bills will be billed to the commercial property owner. In no case shall the tenant be billed, or held responsible, for any water service bills incurred at the property. Water service charges are the responsibility of the property owner.
- Reconnection of water service to commercially metered property. [Added 2-2-1999] When the supply of water to any premise or any part thereof is turned off at the direction of the Controller, no person shall reconnect the water service without the written permission of the Controller.
Penalties for Offenses:
Whenever water has been turned off by the Director of Public Works pursuant to this article for nonpayment of water meter bills, no person shall turn the same on again unless authorized by such Director of Public Works, and any person so turning on such water without such permission shall be guilty of misdemeanor.
Methods of Payment:
- Mail a check or money order in an envelope enclosed with your monthly bill to City Hall.
- Pay by check, cash, money order, certified check at City Hall weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Payments can also be made through First Niagara Bank, at any location throughout Amsterdam.
- If you have any questions, contact us at (518) 841-4332, or email our staff at, email@example.com