URA: Housing Rehabilitation Program
The Rental Rehabilitation Program
The City of Amsterdam is operating a housing rehabilitation program for rental properties located anywhere within the City limits.
The purposed of the program is to improve the quality of rental housing in the City, while maintaining the affordability of the rental units to low and moderate income tenants. This programis funded through theU.S.Department of Housing and UrbanDevelopment under theHOME Program, and administered through theNewYork StateDivision of Housing and Community Renewal. To qualify, the occupants of the rental units must be low income as indicated by the chart below. The programprovides technical assistance in determining the repairs that need to be made to the property. A rehabilitation specialist will work with the property owner to determine the best way to improve a property and assist in hiring of contractors to do the work. In addition, the landlord must agree to limit rents charged to tenants, and agree to several other conditions which are spelled out in more detail later in this application package.
The program will provide a grant of up to 75% of the cost of rehabilitation of the rental units, with a maximum grant of $25,000 per rental unit. A ten year mortgage lien is filed on the property to ensure compliance with HOME program guidelines.
Tenants whose family income is under the following limits will qualify for the program.
|Family Size||Income Limit||Family Size||Income Limit|
Eligible Improvements - Below is a partial list of improvements that are eligible for financial and technical assistance through the program:
- Electrical Work
- Weather Stripping
- Plumbing Repairs
- Exterior Painting
- Foundation Repair
- Lead Hazard Reduction
- Health & Safety Repairs
- Steps & Railings
- Heating Systems
- Storm Doors
- Energy Related Improvements
- Roof Replacement
- Porch Repair
- Storm Windows
- New Siding
How to Apply:
To apply for the Rental Rehabilitation Program, the owner must fill out the application. In addition, the owner must provide the information indicated below.
- Deed or Land Contract (Must Be Filed with County Clerk)
- Owner's Insurance Certificate and Proof of Payment
- Receipts of Tax Bills and Proof of Payment
- Documentation of Tenant Income Including Any of the Following: Tax Return, Pension Award Letter, W-2, Social Security Release, Support Agreement, etc,
- Tenant Income and Rent Certification Form (download the form)
- Copies of Leases with Tenants. All tenants must have written leases that comply with program regulations. A sample lease that is acceptable for program use is included with this application package.
- Signed “Notice to Rental Rehab Program Applicants” (download the form)
For Further Information
For further information about the HOME Rental Rehabilitation Program, contact the Urban Renewal Agency at the following address and phone number:
- Amsterdam Urban Renweal Agency
Amsterdam, NY 12010
- Telephone: 843-5190
- Fax: 841-4381
- Email: email@example.com
- Department Page: Amsterdam Urban Renewal Agency